April 30 is National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day. It’s a day set aside to raise awareness of the thousands of animals in shelters waiting to be adopted into new homes. At the Humane Society of the Black Hills, we saw 5,227 animals come through the doors in 2018 and we assisted in thousands of adoptions. So far this year, we’ve seen hundreds of cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs and other small animals ready for their forever homes.
There are plenty of animals in need of homes nationwide and Rapid City and the surrounding communities are no exception. If you’re ready to add to your family, consider adopting an animal from the Humane Society of the Black Hills.
There are plenty of reasons to adopt an animal from your local shelter.
- First, there are thousands of animals that need homes and would make great companions for years to come;
- Studies show that animals can help ease anxiety and help children with socialization;
- Adopting a pet really isn’t that expensive when the animal comes with vaccinations, spay or neuter and a microchip. And as an added benefit, the adoption costs are used to help care for other animals that come into the shelter;
- When you adopt a pet, you also free up space in the shelter for another animal in need;
- When you adopt a pet, you change that animal’s world; and,
- Finally, you’ll get a great cat or dog and bring it into the family and have a new best friend.