The Adoption Process
The adoption process may take up to one hour to complete but we’ll keep it as simple and streamlined as possible. Here are the steps when you’re considering adopting a pet:
- Visit our website to see available animals or see them on-site during regular hours, seven days a week.
- When you find a dog, cat or small animal you would like to spend more time with, simply call the Humane Society of the Black Hills at (605) 394-4170 for an appointment. Occasionally, our team is able to accomodate walk-ins, but as we cannot guarantee them, it is best to call for an appointment.
- During your scheduled appointment, an adoption advisor will bring the animal to meet you for a 15-minute visit.
- We will schedule the last appointment for visitations and adoptions 30 minutes before we close for the day.
- Once you have met a pet that you think is your perfect match, your adoption advisor will take you through the adoption process, and you can take your new family member home!