Adopt A Pet
Thank you for considering adoption from the Humane Society of the Black Hills. Each year, more than 2,200 animals are adopted from the Humane Society into loving, caring homes. So we can provide the best adopter/adoptee experience, adoptions are by appointment only. When you find an animal you would like to adopt, call to schedule an appointment - it's that easy!
Adopt A Pet
Thank you for considering adoption from the Humane Society of the Black Hills. Each year, more than 2,500 animals are adopted from the Humane Society into loving, caring homes. So we can provide the best adopter/adoptee experience, adoptions are by appointment only. When you find an animal you would like to adopt, call to schedule an appointment – it’s that easy!
The Adoption Process
The adoption process may take up to one hour to complete but we’ll keep it as simple and streamlined as possible. Here are the steps when you’re considering adopting a pet:
- Visit our website to see available animals or see them on-site during regular hours, seven days a week.
- When you find a dog, cat or small animal you would like to spend more time with, simply call the Humane Society of the Black Hills at (605) 394-4170 for an appointment. Occasionally, our team is able to accomodate walk-ins, but as we cannot guarantee them, it is best to call for an appointment.
- During your scheduled appointment, an adoption advisor will bring the animal to meet you for a 15-minute visit.
- We will schedule the last appointment for visitations and adoptions 30 minutes before we close for the day.
- Once you have met a pet that you think is your perfect match, your adoption advisor will take you through the adoption process, and you can take your new family member home!
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Provide current photo identification
- Have a verifiable address (If you rent, bring a copy of your lease agreement and your property manager’s telephone number at the time of adoption. We will verify that the species, breed, and size of the animal you wish to adopt is allowed).
Due to the number of animals that we receive and find homes for every day, we cannot guarantee that specific animals listed on the HSBH website will be available when you visit the shelter.
Adoption fees can vary depending on the animal, age, weight, breed, and medical considerations but generally adoption fees are:
- Puppies, $375
- 6 months to adult, $90 to $300
- Kittens, $150
- 6 months to 7yrs, $100
- Seniors 7 yrs+, $50
Adoption Fees Often Include:
- Spay or Neuter
- Preventative De-worming
- Complimentary veterinary wellness exam
If you have any questions or are looking for more detailed information about our services, please feel free to call us at 605-394-4170, or contact us online.