- If surrendering your pet is the best option, the HSBH Customer Service department at (605) 394-4170 will help you with instructions on how to surrender an animal to our care.
- The owner must bring the animal to the shelter and provide proof of ownership. We will ask you to fill out a personality profile which will be helpful in placing your pet in a new home.
- Bring veterinary records. Medical records help with animal placement and helps us properly vaccinate your animal.
- Come during shelter hours. Do not leave animals unattended outside the facility in the elements.
- There is a $25 surrender fee for single animal surrender and a $10 fee for each surrendered pet after. There is also a fee of $10 to surrender a trapped cat. Payable by check, cash, or credit card.
- Animals must pass a behavioral test and medical evaluation prior to being placed on the adoption floor. If the animal does not meet the criteria for adoption, he or she may be humanely euthanized if all resources have been exhausted.
- We are closed on Wednesdays and do not intake surrendered animals on that day.
Dog Surrender Form
Please complete the Dog Surrender Form prior to bringing your pet to the Humane Society of the Black Hills. This will help our staff get to know your animal better.
Cat Surrender Form
Please complete the Cat Surrender Form prior to bringing your pet to the Humane Society of the Black Hills. This will help our staff get to know your animal better. Be advised that surrendering a trapped cat is a $10.00 fee.
Other Animal Surrender Form
Please complete this Surrender Form prior to bringing your rabbit, guinea pig, bird, etc. to the Humane Society of the Black Hills. This will help our staff get to know your pet better.