- If surrendering your pet is the best option, the HSBH Customer Service department at (605) 394-4170 will help you with instructions on how to surrender an animal to our care.
- The owner must bring the animal to the shelter and provide proof of ownership. We will ask you to fill out a personality profile which will be helpful in placing your pet in a new home.
- Bring veterinary records. Medical records help with animal placement and helps us properly vaccinate your animal.
- Come during shelter hours. Please do not leave animals unattended outside the facility.
- There is a $25 surrender fee payable by check, cash, or credit card.
- Animals must pass a behavioral test and medical evaluation prior to being placed on the adoption floor. If the animal does not meet the criteria for adoption, he or she may be humanely euthanized if all resources have been exhausted.